Apr 8, 2007

"Nigger-brown"

"Nigger-brown" is the name of the colour of a sofa a black Toronto woman bought this week. Bit of fuss about it! Turns out the store and distributor had never closely examined the products they were bringing in from China. I wonder if the description, which was apparently once a ordinary colour label(!), was just another example of a translation mishap or had a meaner intent.

Edit: Sheryl tells me that "when she was little" Brazil nuts were sometimes called nigger toes! My God.

Easter GatheringChris and I are back from an Easter visit to my parents in Cobourg. It was a very full house, with two grandparents, four parents, one babysitter and five children. I presume Mom was happy to have all her chicks in the nest for the day. I'm still struggling with a terrible cold so I took a few time-outs to recuperate. I did manage to photograph our Easter Egg Hunt and devour my share of the Easter lunch.

Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton celebrateOnce I was back in town I dropped in on my friend Brian to watch the Malaysian Formula One race which had happened overnight. Ferrari and McLaren were at the front again, this time with Felipe Massa's Ferrari followed by Fernando Alonso's McLaren, Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari and Lewis Hamilton's McLaren. A poor start by Massa allowed both of the McLarens to get by the Ferraris, and although the Ferraris were faster they were never able to regain the lead, despite a valiant attempt by Kimi in the closing laps. The podium had the same occupants as in Australia, but the order was different: Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen instead of Raikkonen, Alonso, Hamilton. Lewis Hamilton is off to a roaring start to his rookie year in Formula One.

Listening to: Black Boys On Mopeds by Sinéad O'Connor from I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got.

No comments:

Post a Comment