Mar 24, 2007

Another Day, Another Film

If you're a fan of Ricky Gervais (originator of the TV series The Office) check out his hilarious contribution to Comic Relief.

I met up with Sheryl this afternoon to "help her shop." We ended up catching an early screening of The Namesake, which Sheryl wanted to see. It was an interesting portrayal of the Indian immigrant experience, but a bit unfocused because it presented so many viewpoints. There was some great footage of ordinary Indian life. The trailers had suggested that it would be largely about the American-born son (played by Kal Penn from the comedy Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle) re-discovering his roots but it appeared to be more about the parents, which was actually a more powerful story.

The airport scenes reminded me of how I emotional I find waiting for friends or family to arrive but how matter-of-fact I am about departures. I guess it's because during the time I spend waiting for my travelers I'm watching the reunions taking place all around me while on departure everyone gets immediately gobbled up by the passenger handling systems.

Tonight I'm pacing about checking my race bag... I'm off to Hamilton at 7:00 AM tomorrow for my first 30K race! Wish me luck.

Listening to: Train in Vain (Stand by Me) by The Clash from The Singles.

No comments:

Post a Comment