Jun 11, 2006

I finally broke down...

I broke down today at Starbucks and ordered my latte the way I'm supposed to. I've always ordered it "skim" and the order-taker always calls it out for the barrista "non-fat". Until today, when I conformed. Was it a slip on my part or did I succumb to their brainwashing? Jury's out still...

Yesterday I sort of did a mini triathlon training session. I spent the morning with my club near Hamilton doing an open water swim in my wet-suit, then a group bike ride and while the others were finishing their ride I went for a short run. I had all kinds of "chafing issues" though, so I didn't do too much of any one thing. My wet-suit was rubbing the back of my neck, and my thighs were feeling a lot of friction from the bike seat. I think I need to start using my Bodyglide. I know that sounds like a sexual aid, but it's actually for athletes. It looks like a deodorant stick and it rubs into your skin to make it slippery but not greasy...

Too bad I had to cut the bike part of the day short, as I'm trying to "unlearn" my foot-extended peddling technique and adopt the proper low-heel style so I can get more power. Still, it was fun to get out with everyone. We had a flat-changing session after the ride, and heard some interesting anecdotes while we struggled with inner tubes. A few years ago someone (a disgruntled local?) threw tacks on the course of Ironman Canada out in B.C. This resulted in flat tires for most of the leaders! Nasty. Another person told us of a long training ride he'd been on with some friends at Lake Placid. One of them got a puncture from an undetectable sliver of glass that only punctured the tube if the rider hit a bump as that part of the tire was on the ground. They used up every spare they had between them (eight!) and had to resort to patching as they went.

Listening to: Surrender by Billy Talent from Billy Talent II. (It's, um, not out yet...)

No comments:

Post a Comment