Aug 1, 2005

Starry Starry Night

Chris and I headed out to my parent's for the long weekend on Saturday afternoon, and I'm just home now. Chris will be staying with them for the week, so we have only had a few days together. I did manage to finally teach him to skip stones, and we watched a couple of movies, Stand By Me on TV and Dodgeball on DVD, together. I'm not so sure about Dodgeball's moral message, but Stand By Me is an excellent coming of age film from Rob Reiner. Released in 1986 it has great performances by a talented squad of child actors (Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman and Jerry O'Connell). There are some small early roles for Kiefer Sutherland and John Cusack too, and Richard Dreyfuss narrates. The best thing I can say about Dodgeball is that it's a guilty pleasure.

My parents moved to Cobourg, a town about ninety minutes east of Toronto, last year and they now live within a hundred meters of Lake Ontario. Chris and I had a good swim in the lake and I got a chance to practice open-water swimming for my triathlon back in Cobourg two weeks from now. After everyone had gone to bed Saturday night I had a chance to sit out under the midnight stars. It was a clear night and being so close to the lake there wasn't much light pollution. Beautiful.

Sunday was a pretty lazy day. Chris and I went for a drive to scout the routes of the Cobourg Triathlon. The 750 M swim will be off the main public beach. The 30 K cycling course starts off pretty flat but heads up into the countryside and up some beautiful but challenging hills. When we got to the turn-around point there was a great view of the lake, about 150 meters below and perhaps 8 K away. The 7.5 K run is on quiet streets largely along the shoreline. Funnily, the turn-around point for the run is directly in from of the first house my parents bought when they moved to Cobourg. They never moved in as they sold it and bought another before they had to move out of their old house. In the afternoon I helped my parents buy a new printer. Whee!

Listening to: Stand By Me by Sam Cook from Don't Play That Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment