Oct 11, 2004

Give me back my Eighties!

There's a Brit-pop song from 1988 by The La's called There She Goes about devoted love that has a particular meaning for me (he said mysteriously). It took me quite a while to track down a legitimate copy of it. A few months ago I finally found their only CD in the back catalogs of a local music store and bought it for that one song. Here's a sample of it from Apple's iTunes music store Turns out to be a good album with several worthwhile tracks.

As a legal aside, I download plenty of music. But it definitely drives my legitimate music purchases. I buy more music than ever since I started "sampling". Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it RIAA. Music sales are dropping because the product is getting generally crappier, and that's your member's own fault.
Suddenly my Important Song is being used in two new television commercials, one of which is by - shudder - Walmart for a line of English women's clothing called George. The other use is in a car commercial. Arrrgh. I'm going to have to re-work my entire emotional inner life now.

There ought to be a law against the exploitation of Important Songs. Perhaps several.

2 comments:

  1. If there were more than 1 worthwhile song on any given album, definitely I'd buy more. Sampling definitely lets you know what you're getting before buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many albums are built around "the single" these days. It's nothing more than record label profit equations. Everything else is just filler. It's like buying three wheeled cars and being told to like it. I won't buy them, no matter how much I like that single.

    As a follow up, I'm bumping The Cure and James Taylor higher in the emotionally important song rotation. I know, I know. What kind of combination is that!

    ReplyDelete